§ 183.21 Applicability.
This subpart applies to monohull boats less than 20 feet in length, except sailboats, canoes, kayaks, and inflatable boats.
Each boat must be marked in the manner prescribed in §§ 183.25 and 183.27 with the maximum persons capacity in whole numbers of persons and in pounds, the maximum weight capacity in pounds, determined under §§ 183.33 through 183.43, and the maximum horsepower capacity determined under § 183.53 or the statement “This Boat Not Rated for Propulsion by a Motor”.
(a) Each marking required by § 183.23 must be permanently displayed in a legible manner where it is clearly visible to the operator when getting the boat underway.
(b) The information required by § 183.23 must be displayed in the following manner:
(1) For outboard boats:
(2) For inboard boats and inboard-outboard boats:
(3) For boats rated for motors of 2 horsepower or less:
(4) For boats rated for manual propulsion:
(c) The capacity information displays required in paragraph (b) must meet the following as illustrated in Figure 183.25:
(1) The capacity information required in § 183.23 must be displayed within a yellow area that –
(i) Is at least 4 inches wide; and
(ii) Is high enough that each line of print is separated by at least 1/8 inch from each other and from the borders of the yellow area;
(2) The persons capacity in whole numbers must be black print with the following dimensions:
(i) The height must not be smaller than one-half inch;
(ii) The width of the numbers must be three-fifths of the height except for the number “4”, which shall be one stroke width wider, and the number “1”, which shall be one stroke in width;
(iii) The stroke width shall be one-sixth of the height; and
(iv) The minimum space between the numbers shall be one stroke width.
(3) The words in the line “XX Persons or XXX Pounds” must be at least one-quarter inch in height but not larger than one-half the height of the persons capacity number and of a color contrasting with yellow. The number of pounds in this line must be at least one-eighth inch in height but no larger than one-half the height of the persons capacity number and of a color contrasting with yellow.
(4) All remaining words and numbers required to be within the yellow area required in paragraph (c)(1) must be at least one-eighth inch in height, but no larger than one-half the height of the persons capacity number.
(5) All other words and numbers on the displays must be located outside the yellow area on a background color which contrasts with yellow.
(6) The words “Maximum Capacities” must be at least one-quarter inch in height and of color contrasting with its background.
(7) The words “U.S. Coast Guard” must be at least one-eighth inch in height and of color contrasting with its background.
Each marking required by § 183.23 must be –
(a) Capable of withstanding the combined effects of exposure to water, oil, salt spray, direct sunlight, heat, cold, and wear expected in normal operation of the boat, without loss of legibility; and
(b) Resistant to efforts to remove or alter the information without leaving some obvious sign of such efforts.